Click The images for a better picture
Morley Grammar School 1914
Morley Grammar School around 1950
Morley Grammar, Secondary or High School
The secondary and technical school had existed in Morley since 1906.
Lessons were taught at St. Maryís Sunday School room on Commercial
Street. Due to pressure from the West Riding County Council a new
school was built on a 4 acre site in Fountain Street in 1909. The
County Council had repeatedly stressed the need for a purpose-built
school. It was built for children of parents residing in Morley, East
Ardsley, West Ardsley, Gildersome and Drighlington and was opened on 4
July 1909. Rooms included a central hall, seven classrooms, a library,
gymnasium, chemical and domestic laboratories. The technical section
contained textile, engineering and art rooms. The size of the site
left plenty of room for playing fields to the front and rear of the
building. The school soon became known as Morley Grammar School.
The main building was extended around 1963. The extension provided
a new sports facility including a gymnasium, a new central
hall/dining room with adjoining kitchen, a stage and dressing rooms,
domestic science rooms, woodwork and metalwork rooms, art room with
its own kiln, a large staff room and medical room, reception area,
fifth and sixth form common rooms, a dining area, a large library and
head and deputy head offices. The old building was modified into
classrooms and cloakrooms on the first floor, classrooms and a
library on the second floor and science laboratories on the third.
Further out buildings or annexes were added to the site during the
1970ís to accommodate the growing number of children in the town.
A fire in 1996 destroyed part of the extension including the
kitchens, main hall and sports facilities and the area has now been
Some of the information on this page was supplied by David Atkinson
reproduced by his kind permission.