|Arnold's location is 4 miles North of the
10 miles South of Mansfield. Arnold's beginnings link as
many other small towns have been lost in ages past,
however Arnold's first scratching in the files of history was
first known as Ernehale, Arnold appears in the Doomsday
Book (1086) as Ernehale although there is indication of a
village in the year 500 but no supportive documents but in
1066 there appears to be a population of 150 .
The meaning of Ernehale appears a little difficult to
determine however Erne-hale=heron's corner seems to fit
the bill very well as Ernehale supported several brooks and
streams which ran down from the hill sides down into the
village of Ernehale these fed the then wet land which
would be ideal for Herons. Arnold has one of the oldest
churches in the UK this church was first recorded in 1176
this church now known as St Mary's is a beautiful church
in pretty surroundings not far from the now Town center.
Arnold is the major Town of the area, close by are the
villages of Lambley,Calverton,Woodborough, Basford and
Gedling now really are getting towards being small Towns
Coat of Arms 1948-1974: the motto means "With High Purpose"
|To the right:This is St Mary's church.Henry
placed St Mary's under the care and protection of
Launde Priory, its yearly offerings are recorded as
two shillings in 1178.
During the church's life changes have been made.
It is thought that the church started as a simple nave,
chapel and porch .
There is a story that the church tower was hit by
cannon fire during the Civil W ar.. The church has
6 bells which over the years have been replaced the
last two being recasted in 1970.
This church is very popular for there is always a long
waiting list for weddings at the church.
painter, was born in Arnold, near
Nottingham He studied at the Ecole des Beau - Arts,
Paris, and privately with Baron Antoine Jean Gros.
Bonington was best known as a water colorist, and
spent most of his time in France. He was one of the
first painters in the country to adopt the techniques
of the English landscape painters of the period such
as John Constable.
His more famous paintings were Henry and the Spanish
Ambassador (1827) (Wallace collection, London)
Francis 1 and the Duchess d'Etampes (1828)
Other works are
Coast Scene ,Normandy and
(both at the Metropolitan Museum New York City)
Richard Parkes Bonington
two pictures are just two pictures
of Richard Parks Boningtons.
To the left is "The
|As with all places of some age they all have
had there darker days...
It is reported that Robin Hood and his merry men ( I wonder if the Home Ales brewery was
there then) where supposed to have been in the forest which surrounds the area admittedly
this could have been a strong possibility as the surrounding land, the Mapperley Plains and
Dorket Head (which is the highest spot locally at about 550 ft) would be excellent vantage
point. Arnold was at that time surrounded by forest which was unbroken right in to
Clumber Park and beyond into Yorkshire. Maybe Robin Hood did set up camp in the forest
around the village, just maybe Robin and Maid Marion walked along one of the wooded paths
with the haunting sound of a distant harp being played by Will Scarlet......
Also it's believed that Dick Turpin once stayed at one of the local Inn's in Arnold there is
no evidence of this but... who really knows..???
Arnold and area is a part of our history, the changes are dramatic over years gone by, but it
should not be forgotten Ernehale,s simple beginnings to the Arnold of today, we must move
forward with an eye on our past.
|It can be seen even in 1775 how isolated Arnold
was, the forest still surrounded the village as in fact it did all the
local villages. The main "roads" can be seen on the map although they would
be little more than well worn tracks, the smaller tracks would be similar
to the bridle paths of today. Traveling any distance would be a major
traveling exercise, robbery was always a possibility on any of the roads
out of Arnold, as in fact any other village at the time.
Day Brook could then be seen starting in Arnold village and running through now what we call Daybrook and onto to Basford where it joins the River Lean, most of its path now is in concrete pipes, but still in places it can be seen, as it flows along the playing fields at the side of the ring road near Mansfield Rd.Arnold to day includes generally all the left hand side of the Mapperley Plains Rd right down to Manfield Rd past Red Hill, ie Wood Thorpe,and Bestwood,There are many old buildings and public house's that have many stories they could tell.
Ancient Monument 8
Cockpit Hill, Ramsdale Park
These are earth works of a large encampment, with a double defensive bank and ditch on a
defensive hill top location, the finds at this site have Been mainly pottery, with Roman and
earlier Iron Age articles, there are also Neolithic flints stones which suggest an even earlier
occupancy of the site.
|Listed Grade II buildings|
|(1) Church of St Mary(Church Lane),|
|(2) Boundary Wall at Church of St Mary(Church Lane),|
|(3) Arnold House (15 Church Street),|
|(4) 34 High St,|
|(5) Bonington House(79 High Street),|
|(6) Daybrook Almshouses(Mansfield Rd),|
|(7) Gateway and Boundary Wall at Daybreak Almshouses(Mansfield Road),|
|(8) Church of St Paul(Mansfiled Road),|
|(9) 321 Mansfield Rd and adjoining Frame Shop, Arnot Hill House (Nottingham Road)|
|(10) Cockcliffe House and adjoining Granary(off Ollerton Road),|
|(11) Ramesdale House and Adjoining Stables(Oxton Lane)|
|(12) 42A Calverton Rd|
you for visiting my Arnold page installed 16th June 1996