A walk along Eston Hills
A Morning's walk
Making a start East of Wilton Castle
St. Cuthbert's Church - Wilton Village
Previously dedicated to 'All Saints' this old church was built just before 1100 and parts of the original Norman church can still be seen. Extensions were made between 1340 - 1350 and was renamed and consecrated by the Bishop of Damascus in 1349.
The church was partly restored in 1850 by Sir. J.H. Lowther but in 1907-8 the Church was rebuilt having first had all the stones taken down and numbered with some new Yorkshire stone being used as required.
The original castle was thought to be constructed in 1210 with another being built by the Lowther family, on the
same site in1807 although not completely finished until 1887. Colonel Lowther sold the estate to ICI in 1945.
A View from above Lazenby towards Teesmouth
Land once belonging to the Lowther family and being known as the Wilton Estates went right to the shoreline
A wider shot of the same Area
In 1946 2,000 Acres of land were developed at a cost of £ 300 million with the first plant going into production in 1950
Looking towards Middlesbrough
The Wilton estates sold the royalties for ironstone mining to Bolckow & Vaughan in 1850. First trials indicated that the ore
was of superb quality which prompted Bolckow & Vaughan to build a Blast Furnace at Middlesbrough to use Eston Iron ore.
And backover towards Redcar
The Remains of Eston Nab
Finds from the Bronze age ( 1200BC) confirmed that this encampment was used as a look-out for possible invaders using the Tees Estuary and miles of coastline. The Napoleonic watch tower was used until after the second world war before being demolished. ICI have since erected an obelisk to mark the Watch Tower Site
Looking out towards Roseberry Topping
The Climb Up.
Through the stile to Teesside
Autumn Sunshine and the folly of Commodore Wilson of Ayton Hall
Evening sunset from Roseberry Topping
On the way down
Starting the walk back
A well earned break on the way home !!