Quick links: [ Home ] / [ Current stocklist ] /
Short term visitors
Locomotives (those that arrived only on the guise of a certain blue Tank Engine are not yet included)
Bagnall 0-6-0 pannier tank built 1940, number 2613 "Brookfield"
Part of a batch of five locomotives originally ordered as metre gauge for use in Turkish coal mines, this was one of four requisitioned by the Ministry of Supply at the beginning of WW2 and completed to standard gauge. Delivered new to the Admiralty Machinery Depot on the site of the former Kerr Stuart works in Stoke-on-Trent, it was later used by the Brookfield Foundry at the same location. In 1950 it was joined by Kerr Stuart 0-4-0ST number 4388, now preserved at Foxfield. After rail traffic ceased in the early 1960s both locomotives were stored together for many years, and sold for preservation in 1983. The Bagnall was restored to working order and named "Brookfield", carrying a distinctive blue livery. The Bagnall and Kerr Stuart were reunited briefly after ten years apart when "Brookfield" visited Foxfield for the 1993 Gala Weekend. After active use at various steam railways around the UK "Brookfield" can now be found at the Mangapps Railway Museum in Essex.
A small Peckett loco with only 12" cylinders, this example worked its entire life at Yates Duxbury Ltd paper mills just outside Bury in Lancashire. At the end of its working life in 1970 "Annie" became a static exhibit at Bury and Embsay until restored to working order in the 1980s. A visitor to Foxfield for the 1994 Gala Weekend, "Annie" also played the role of "Percy" for a Thomas the Tank Engine event. "Annie" is a resident of the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway and a dediated website on her history and restoration can be found at: http://www.pogo.org.uk/railway/9.html
North Eastern Railway Class H 0-4-0 tank built 1891, number 1310, "NCB 64"
This inside cylindered side tank locomotive was one of 24 built for shunting duties and was withdrawn from service by the LNER in 1931. It was sold to Penlaw Main Collieries and passed to the National Coal Board in 1947. On closure of the colliery in 1959 it passed to the Bowes Railway (part of which itself is now preserved) to work Ravensworth Ann Colliery, then Watergate Colliery on the Tanfield Railway (also now partly preserved). It was saved from scrap in 1964 and restored to working order at the Middleton Railway in Leeds. Appearing as a guest at Foxfield's 1996 Gala Weekend, the loco carried the guise of NCB 64 using self adhesive lettering and a liberal coating of artificial "grime". It was also used for some freight photo charter work. In its usual NER livery it can be found at the Middleton Railway and a dedicated webpage describes it in more detail at: http://www.middletonrailway.org.uk/rollingstock/1310.htm
Bagnall 0-6-0 saddle tank built 1914, "Cranford No2"
A Bagnall 15" 0-6-0ST built for
the Ministry of Supply "Cranford No2", which later worked at Cranford Ironstone
Quarry with Foxfield resident "Cranford", "Cranford
No2" visited primarily for the 1997 Gala. It was in fact on site
between April and August and performed on several regular service trains.
For full details of this loco see Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway
web page at http://www.pogo.org.uk/railway/2.html
Manning Wardle 0-6-0 saddle tank built 1891, number 1210 "Sir Berkeley"
"Sir Berkeley" is a standard class L Manning Wardle loco typical of hundreds used by civil engineering contractors. After use on various railway construction projects it was sold to the Cranford Ironstone Company in 1935, and was preserved in 1965 at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway. "Sir Berkeley" was restored to original cabless condition and full working order by the Vintage Carriages Trust and visited Foxfield for the 1998 Gala weekend. It is currently located at the Middleton Railway in Leeds and has a dedicated web page at http://www.middletonrailway.org.uk/rollingstock/1210.htmHunslet 0-6-0 saddle tank Austerity class built 1953, number 3788 "Monckton No1"
A Hunslet Austerity saddle tank just like Foxfield residents "Whiston" and "Wimblebury", "Monckton No1" worked for the NCB at Monckton Colliery and North Gawber Colliery, both near Barnsley. After preservation at the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway in 1980, "Monckton No1" waited until 1997 for serious restoration, this being completed just in time for its visit to Foxfield for the 35th Anniversary Gala on 20-21 July 2002. "Monckton No1" is in regular use at Embsay and a dedicated webpage shows full details of its history and preservation, including some excellent photos by Martin Creese of its performance at the 2002 Gala, see: http://www.pogo.org.uk/railway/1.html
Above: 0-6-0PT NCB7754 (aka GWR 7754) in Foxfield Wood sidings in July 2003
GWR / North British Loco Co 0-6-0 pannier tank built 1930, number 24042, "NCB 7754"
Built in Glasgow by the North British Locomotive Company for the Great Western Railway, number 7754 worked in various areas of the GWR system until withdrawal and sale to the National Coal Board in 1959. It worked at Talywain and Mountain Ash collieries in South Wales until preserved in 1975. Restored to working order in 1993 it has lately carried BR black livery. As a genuine NCB locomotive it was a very welcome visitor to Foxfield for the 2003 Gala Weekend, and was temporarily lettered as NCB 7754. It is normally to be found in service on the Llangollen Railway and a detailed web page on the history of the loco can be found at: http://www.llangollen-railway.co.uk/stock/steam/7754.html
Peckett 0-6-0 saddle tank built 1954, number 2150, "Mardy No1" aka the "Mardy Monster"
A huge Peckett loco that worked its entire life at NCB Mardy Colliery in the Rhondda valley in South Wales, it was the second of three to be built. Originally preserved in 1977, it is currently based at the Elsecar Steam Railway where serious restoration to working order started in 1999. It returned to steam in summer 2003 and is appropriately nicknamed the "Mardy Monster". As Foxfield's guest locomotive for the 2004 Steam Gala it appeared in lined green livery with GWR style numberplates and nameplates. The "Monster" arrived on site on 14 July, and made an interesting comparison with Foxfield's resident products of Peckett's Bristol works: "Henry Cort" "No11" and "Ironbridge No1". It proved capable of strolling away with any load attached to it. Paired with RSH 0-6-0T Meaford No2 for the Gala (see pictures in the Gala Album), the "Mardy Monster" stayed for a photo charter the following weekend and left Foxfield shortly afterwards. For a detailed website by Steven Oakden on the history of this loco and others at the Mardy Colliery see http://mardy.portland.co.uk/Index.htm and click on the "Peckett" and "Restoration" links.
Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 side tank built 1948, number 1821, "No 140"
Above: Hunslet saddle tank "Jessie" stands with "Wimblebury" on the evening of Wednesday 12 July 2006
Hunslet 0-6-0 saddle tank built 1937, number 1873, "Jessie"
Above: BR 24 ton "Dogfish" ballast hopper wagon kindly loaned from Shackerstone in 1994
BR 24 ton "Dogfish" Ballast hopper wagon DB993138
This wagon was loaned from the Battlefield Line Railway for the 1994 season and carried approximately 1,500 tons of new ballast along the line where it was dropped and tamped. It proved so successful that a Foxfield member purchased an identical wagon, DB9823072, the following year.
Ballast Regulator and other track machines
A ballast regulator was loaned by Tarmac Trackwork during the 1994 season, and several other track machines have visited the railway for crew training purposes in subsequent years.Below: one of the varied track machines that have visited the Foxfield Railway in recent years
|For more information on the Foxfield Steam Railway, its passenger services and special events please see the official website at http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk.|