North York Moors CAM
The Crosses of the North York Moors
( Grid Ref: 495 902 )
. . .
Steeple Cross (looking east).... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Steeple Cross (looking north)
Steeple Cross lies near the old drovers road which follows the contours of the western escarpment of the Hambleton Hills.
Carved on the small
piece of shaft which is all that remains of Steeple Cross is CT
1700 which refers to
Charles Tancred Esq., Lord of the Manor of Arden Hall.
"The cross is
named in a fine between Henry, Abbot of Byland and Nicholas de
Bolteby in 1246, which mentions
'The King's road that leads by the Spina de Kereby to Stepicros'. The King's road being the Hambleton Street
referred to as 'Regalis Via' in the document in the Rievaulx Chartulary, a track which was used long before
the Romans arrived and one of the oldest roads in England."
('An Illustrated Guide to the Crosses on the North Yorkshire Moors' - Elizabeth Ogilvie & Audrey Sleightholme)
back to Crosses Index