North York Moors CAM
The Crosses of the North York Moors
( Grid Ref: 606 118 )
. . .
Percy Cross (looking north-east)............................................Percy Cross (looking south-east)
The sparse remains
of Percy Cross stand beside an ancient track (now part-metalled)
on Kildale Moor
named Percy Cross Rigg - the cross takes its name from Ernaldus de Percy, onetime landowner of Kildale.
The name Percy can be traced back to before 1078, William Percy had been given
large estates in Eskdale by William the Conqueror.
The cross once
stood on a howe, but was moved to another site in 1961 when,
the howe was found to contain a stone cist with a few cremated bones.
The original cross
was replaced by a rough boundary shaft inscribed RC TC 1856, the
of Robert Challoner of the Guisborough Estate, and Thomas, his brother, who succeeded his estate on his death.
Sadly, all that now remains is a small plain socket stone.
back to Crosses Index