North York Moors CAM
Standing Stones and Crosses of the North York Moors
(Grid Ref: 675 020)
. . .
Old Ralph (looking south-west).............. . . . ............ ................. . Old Ralph (looking north)
Old Ralph stands
isolated on Blakey Ridge, approximately 200 yards west of Young Ralph. It cannot be seen from
Young Ralph, but by following a narrow track across the heather clad moor it soon comes into prominent view.
Its positon is at the division of Esklets, Westerdale and Rosedale
"A cross in
that vicinity is mentioned in the Guisborough Charters of 1200AD
as Crucem Radulphi.
The cross may have been named after the Bishop Ralph of Guisborough Priory, a relation of De Brus of Danby Castle,
and who in 1200 was given extensive grazing rights in this area. An elegant R is carved into the stone base,
on the crosspiece of the shaft are the initials C D for Charles Duncombe and below the date 1708.
There have been many folk tales written about the old cross which is supposedly named after a dalesman called Ralph
who attached himself to the Rosedale Priory helping with the livestock and building jobs.
He lived to a great age and was known by the dalesfolk as 'Aud Ralph Roas'le'."
('An Illustrated Guide to the Crosses on the North Yorkshire Moors' - Elizabeth Ogilvie & Audrey Sleightholme)
back to Crosses Index