North York Moors CAM
The Crosses of the North York Moors
( Grid Ref: 900 027)
. . .
John Cross (looking south).... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .John Cross (looking north-west)
The remains of John
Cross stand at the edge of Newton House Plantation on a track
which joins the Old Robin Hood's Bay Road which ran from Saltersgate to Robin Hood's Bay
the socket is a two foot four inch broken boundary marker with
'C' inscribed on the south face
which marked the boundary of the Cholmley Estate. The initial 'C' refers to George Cholmley Esq., of Whitby Abbey,
his ancestor Sir Richard Cholmley the first Lord of Whitby was a descendent of Hugh Cholmondeley
whose family can be traced at least as far back as the Norman Conquest.
It is thought that the cross probably received its name from John de Steyngrave,
who was Abbot of Whitby from 1245 until 1258."
('An Illustrated Guide to the Crosses on the North Yorkshire Moors' - Elizabeth Ogilvie & Audrey Sleightholme)
back to Crosses Index