INVENTIONS | BELVEDERE
| 1930s | MANSARD
commissioned Gibberd to design the Park Court
flats in a modernist style, only to have the
plans thrown out by the local planners who demanded
a neo-Georgian approach. After a battle, Cannon
and Gibberd won and the estate was built in
1936 to their original plans.
flats were built to a very high specification,
with patented double-floors to reduce noise,
electrical heaters in airing cupboards and beneath
the deep lounge windows, and an ĎAscotí instant
hot water system for the kitchen and bathroom.
Court was regarded
as a notable development from the start, and
widely written-up when it was completed. The
average rent for a flat in 1936 was £140
modern architecture, Mr Cannonís main interest
seems to have been horse-racing. Although three
blocks were named after him (Cannon) and his
children (Nicholas and Lucille), six blocks
(Aintree, Ascot, Goodwood, Lingfield, Redcar
and Sandown) were named after racecourses.
Gibberd went on to become one of Britainís leading
20th-century architects, designing Harlow New
Town (now being restored to his original intentions),
Cambridge University Library, Liverpool Catholic
Cathedral (for which he was knighted), and many
other public buildings. Sadly, the firmís archive
holds little information on Park Court Ė any
more detail would be welcome.