(Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment)
Having first been established as a Royal Naval Air Service seaplanes station in 1913. During the First World War, flying boats from Felixstowe - the largest flying boat base in the war - patrolled 'The Spider Web' in the North Sea, spotting and bombing German U-boats.
research and testing continued to be carried out on seaplanes at the Marine
Aircraft Experimental Establishment which became fully operational from 16
June 1924.The (MAEE) were trialling all UK seaplanes and flying
boats including both the 1929 & 1931 Schneider Trophy winners.
For a while T.E.Laurence (of WW1 Arabia fame) was also based at RAF Felixstowe as an engineer, before his sudden death in March 1935.
In 1936the Establishment came under the control of RAF Costal Command. A year Later, 1937 the Fleet Air Arm was returned to Royal Navy control and the test and evaluation of carrier-borne aircraft ceased.
Saro Lerwick L7248 at Felixstowe for trials
With the start of the Second World War the Establishment was moved to the more secure and safer location of Helensburgh in Scotland.
HMS Beehive was the Costal Forces base at Felixstowe between 1940 and 1945. The 8th MGB Flotilla came back to Felixstowe in September 1942, having left earlier in July for a short time at Dartmouth.
In August 1945, the M.A.E.E returned to Felixstowe.
Felixstowe was the home to a number of distinguished units during its history.
It also played an important role in the development of Air Sea Rescue in the RAF,
with Whirlwind helicopters until May 1961.
Flying ceased at the M.A.E.E in 1953, and the station closed in 1962.
Here are some photographs Taken by Roy, of M.A.E.E Felixstowe during his stay.
May be Helensburgh
Hendon June 1933.
Last updated 25/09/10