From Kelly’s Directory of Cheshire, 1906

Part of Charlie Hulme's history site

Notes: Transcribed from p.527 of Kelly's Directory of Cheshire, 1906. (The John Rylands University Library, The University of Manchester).

SALTERSFORD  and KETTLESHULME form a district Chapelry, comprising Saltersford ancient chapelry and Kettleshulme township, which was formed Nov. 4, 1864.

SALTERSFORD (or Jenkin Chapel) is a hamlet, 5½ miles north-east from Macclesfield stations on the London and North Western and North Staffordshire Joint and Great Central railways, and is in Rainow township, parish of Prestbury, Knutsford division of the county, petty sessional division of Prestbury, hundred and union of Macclesfield, county court district of Chapel-en-le-Frith (Derbyshire), in the rural deanery and archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the diocese of Chester. The chapel of St John the Baptist, erected in 1733, is a small and plain building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave and small western turret, containing one bell: there are 100 sittings. The register dates form the year [missing]. The living is a vicarage with Kettleshulme annexed, net yearly value £120, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Prestbury, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Herbert Graham B.A. of New College, Oxford, who resides at Kettleshulme. This place gives the title of baron to the Stopford family, earls of Courtown. The Earl of Courtown is the principal landowner. The area is 2,700 acres; the population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 403. Letters through Macclesfield; the nearest money order & telegraph office is at Whaley Bridge, 4½ miles distant.  

KETTLESHULME is a township and village in a hilly district in the parish of Prestbury, but ecclesiastically annexed to Saltersford, and is on the road from Macclesfield to Chapel-en-le-Frith, about 3 miles south-west from Whaleybridge station on the Buxton  and Stockport branch of the London and North Western Railway, and 7 north-east from Macclesfield. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1815, and seating 200 persons. The charities for distribution in bread and money are £2 13s. 4d yearly value. The candle wick manufacture is carried on here. The Earl of Derby K.G., P.C., G.C.B. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clayey and poor; the subsoil is chiefly rock. The population in 1901 was 321; the acreage is 1,232; rateable value, £1,727.


Post Office.- William Hewitt, sub-postmaster. Letters through Stockport arrive at 7.50 a.m. & 6.p.m. No delivery on Sundays. Whaley Bridge is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.


Council School (mixed), built in 1856, for 108 children; average attendance, 70; Miss Emma Pritchard, mist.





Brocklehurst, Wm. frmr, Charlshead

Etchells, Sara (Mrs) frmr, Hooley hey

Heathcote Jonathan, farmer, High bnk

Hibber John, farmer, Thursbach

Hill John, farmer, Higher house

Hill Mary (Mrs) farmer, Close bottom

Hine Fredk. Farmer, Green booth

Robinson Wm, farmer, Saltersford hall

Stanway George, farmer, The Bank

Turner Jesse, farmer, Buxter stoop




Graham Rev. Herbert B.A. (vicar of Saltersford-cum-Kettleshulme), Saltersford Vicarage

Goddard Nicholas, Brook house

Mackintosh Rev. Robert D.D. Kinrara

Sheldon Misses, Brook bottom




Beard Joel, farmer, Wright’s

Bennett George, farmer, Redfearns

Bennett James, farmer & grocer, Kishfield

Bennett John, farmer, Brook bottom

Bennett Samuel, farmer, Greenbank

Boothby Geo. Herbt. Frmr, Broad carr

Boothby Martha (Mrs.) Swan inn

Broadhead Thos, farmer, Stocks

Broadhead Jas. ,farmer, Nether Carr

Brocklehurst Jn.,frmr, Spons bottom

Brocklehurst Thos. ,farmer, Needhams

Buckley Henry, farmer, Colehurst

Clarke Geo. , farmr, Hollow Cow hey

Collier James, farmer, Walker

Cotterill Frederick, farmer, Spout ho

Cotterill John, farmer, Kirkby clough & Brow top

Cotterill Maria (Mrs.) , farmer,Tunstead knoll

Fidler George, farmer, Lapwing

Flynn John, farmer, Well house

Ford John, shopkeeper

Fox Adam, farmer, Priest

Goddard Nicholas, buider, joiner & wheelwright, Brook side

Hewitt Ebenezer, Bull’s Head P.H.

Hewitt Elizh (Mrs) , farmer, Gap ho

Hewitt Jas jun. frmr, Greenlow hth

Hewitt Joseph, farmer, Townfield

Hewitt William, iron & implement merchant, grocer & sub-postmaster

Hill Abraham, farmer, Thornycroft

Jackson Ann (Mrs), grocer

Jackson Edmund, farmer, Marl bank

Jackson Joseph Sutton, florist

Joule John, farmer, Ely fold

Kettleshulme Library (Arthur Jackson, sec)

Lomas Edward, farmer, Cooper shaw

Lomas George, farmer, assistant overseer & clerk to Parish Council, Bent hall

Lomas Edw. frmr. Dixons & Commons

Mason Arthur, farmer, Further carr, Five Lane ends

Olrenshaw John, farmer, Old Matts

Pearson Geo, farmer, Boggart house

Pennington John, frmr, Round knoll

Pennington David, shopkeeper

Read Peter William, farmer, Clayton Fold farm

Sheldon John & Sons, candle wick manufacturers, Lumb Hole mill

TurnerJohn, farmer, Stocks

Ward George, farmer, Green dale

Williamson Henry, farmer, Side end

Williamson Samuel, farmer, Clayton fold & Brook bottom

Willott James, farmer, Dunge