The original intention was to site the station where it is today, but in response to a
request from Lord Howe of Gopsall Hall, the Committee agreed to
move it north of the junction and call it "Gopsall"; but soon altered their
minds and moved it back to the obvious place, the junction. Land for this purpose was
bought from Lord Howe, who in 1877, was allowed to plant trees along the approach road to
Its position made Shackerstone strategically important in
the operation of the line, and it seems to have been selected as the headquarters of the
inspector (Manning by name) in charge of the working of the line. Probably he combined the
post with the stationmastership (as was done on the GN-LNWR Joint Line in East
Leicestershire at Melton Mowbray) for no stationmaster is named at Shackerstone in the
first staff list, and Mannings pay, 50 shillings per week, was much higher than any
other member of the ANJRs staff. It must also have
ranked in the top class of three varieties of station planned by the Committee, for
constructional purposes, the estimated cost being £1,300 plus £350 for the
The building of Shackerstone Station was under taken by Messrs. J. & E. Woods of
Derby, as part of a contract that also included the stations of Measham,
Heather and Hugglescote, for which the contract price was £12,826.15.0. On this basis the
price of Shackerstone should have been about £3,500. One thing remains at present
unknown: the name of the architect. As the stations on the ANJR. are similar to a few on
the Midland system, it is likely that they are the work of a member of the Midland
Railways staff, as there is no reference in the minutes to payments to any outside
architect in this connection. It is a great pity that we cannot attach the name of any
individual to these charming little buildings, which are among the most delightful small
stations anywhere on our railways.
The Station Tea Rooms
Located on the Platform 1 side of the main
station building, the tea rooms provides a selection of light refreshments, meals, hot and
cold drinks in a historically flavoured setting.
Like all good things at Shackerstone there is a historical connection. Judy, the
proprietor, grandfather brought the Royal train to a stop at the station during the December 1902 visit of King Edward VII.
Linking the two platforms is
the only footbridge built at any station on the line. Originally made from wood it was
replaced by the metal girder construction that stands today. It was necessary to build a
bridge here, because of a footpath that crossed the line at this busy junction. The
footpath still exists (S68) and makes up part of the "Leicestershire Round"
Set in to the brickwork of the
footbridge on Platform 1 is a Midland Railway logo. This was removed from Coalville
Station chimney breast before the demolition of the building. On the opposite side of the
tracks can been seen the remains of another set of steps that once ran down on to Platform
From the top of
the footbridge Shackerstone Junction is clearly visible. The left fork (now the car park)
would take you to Moira, the right one (now a siding) was the Coalville Branch. Both of
the lines from the junction then went on to join the Leicester - Burton line. Located to
the right of the tracks, just before the road bridge, stood the original signal box.
Unfortunately when the line was closed the junction signal box was demolished. On the
opposite side of the track bed, beyond the farm road, was the site of the water pumping
station, its blue brick flooring is still visible. It provided water from the River
renown for its quality of purity. The river can be seen passing directly under the
Junction at this point. The water was pumped up to the columns at the ends of the
The Shop & Water Column
The Station Shop is located on Platform
2, over the footbridge. It is a reconstruction of the original waiting room that once
stood on the same site, but was demolished during the Second World War. It now houses a
selection of souvenirs and goods for both children and adults alike. Behind the original
building, under the eaves, the long station ladder was kept. At the southern end of
Platform 2 stands the water column. It was removed from Hams Hall power station where its
was maintained by BR and dates from the 1950's. The water used at Shackerstone was pumped
from the River Sence
before the ANJR closure. Engines would come from as far
afield as Nuneaton to "take the waters" at Shackerstone. The water column has
only been connected to the mains supply since 1993 and was previously supplied from a near
The Locomotive/Carriage Shed
The loco shed is signposted from Platform 1 and is
only a short walk from the Station through the original goods yard. Access to parts of the
shed and workshops are restricted for reasons of safety. The shed is made up of various
sections of local NCB buildings and even part of a Nuneaton cinema!
Within its confines can be found the various steam locos that run the passenger
services. The odd diesel loco can aslo be found inside which is undergoing some
restoration or maintenance.
The Signal Box
Railway Square Box is believed to be the oldest one of its kind still in use. The wooden
bodied box was rescued from Measham, where it was being used as a Canal Inspectors Office.
It was transported to Shackerstone and placed on to its present brick base on New Years
Day 1978, allowing us to start the season with a working Signal Box.
The frame has sixteen levers and was made for the
North Staffordshire Railway Company by the Mackenzie and Holland Company. It was removed
from Uttoxeter North Signal Box by members of the Society.
Due to its location on the opposite side of the main running lines it is not open to
The Railwayana Museum
Also to be found in the confines of Shackerstone Station is the John
C Jacques Museum. Named after our Society President and original
Shackerstone Station 'Lad'.
Packed to the gunnels from
floor to ceiling - such a wonderful place it gets its own page!!!
LCGB 'Burton Area Railtour' Enthusiast Special running over the ANJR on 1st March
|Open for Goods
|Open for Passengers
|Closed for Passengers
|Closed for Parcels
|Closed for Goods
|Signal Box Opened
|Replacement Box Opened
|Signal Box Closed
Shackerstone Junction to Snarestone reduced to single line 1.4.1934
Hill Bridge Crossing north of Shackerstone (Gopsall Hall Sidings)
|Hill Bridge Crossing Signal Box Opened
|Hill Bridge Crossing Signal Box Closed
Current State of Site
Still in action! The Stationmasters house is a private residence.
information on this Station will be added as it becomes available
you have something to add please let us know.