Market Bosworth Station is situated just under a mile from the town centre and two
minute walk from the canal. Market Bosworth was the only major town on the line and it was
from the station that much of the farming produce was ferried to and fro. The station had
extensive sidings that stood to both sides of the mainline, because of the amount of goods
that passed through Market Bosworth. If you look carefully you may be able to spot the
remains of the earth banked platforms for the sidings behind the Goods Shed. It was used
as a large petrol dump during the Second World War by the Army and had its own narrow
Both the original station, goods shed and stationmasters buildings are in private
The LNWR Signal Box
Unlike Shackerstone the Market Bosworth signal box is the original London & North
Western one. Its lever frame once controlled a large goods yard that stretched around both
the goods shed and the station building. This is the second box at
Bosworth and was opened
in January 1899. On Easter Sunday 2008 vandals attacked the buildings at Market Bosworth
seriously damaging the signal box and burning a small brick built building located nearby
to the ground. The signal box had all its windows smashed and a fire that was lit within
it luckily never took hold.
The Chester Road Waiting Room
This building was originally sited at Chester Road Station, Erdington on the Lichfield
to Birmingham line. Although it slightly predates Market Bosworth Station it blends in
well as it was also constructed for the LNWR between 1865 to 1870. When
British Rail finally
decided it was not required any more in 1991 the Society made enquiries about its future.
It was dismantled and removed from Chester Road Station in a weekend. It arrived at Market
Bosworth shortly afterwards and was reconstructed between 1991 and 1993.
The Booking Office
Very little is known about the history of this building. It started its life as a LNWR
signal box and is believed to have been used at Whitwick before being moved to the
Nuneaton area. It was eventually grounded and became a mess room for the Signal Telegraph
Department at Abbey Street Station, Nuneaton. It was from there that the building was
purchased by the Society and moved to its present location.
|Open for Goods
|Open for Passengers
|Closed for Passengers
|Closed for Parcels
|Closed for Goods
|Signal Box Opened
|Replacement Box Opened
|Signal Box Closed
Current State of Site
The Stationmasters house is a private residence. The
station building is a motor car servicing and sales garage, its front door area has been removed
to make way for car inspection ramps.
The weigh bridge office is still there, however it has had a replacement modern window
and appears not to be used for anything.
The Goods Shed was used as an industrial unit following the closure of
The Shed now acts as a venue for Battlefield Line events throughout the
year. The original goods office area on its southern end of the building is in poor
condition and awaits renovation.
Traces of the military siding platforms are still visible.
information on this Station will be added as it becomes available
something to add please let us know.