The Ordnance Survey map of this year shows the entrance to the castle
was off Guisborough Rd with a lodge at the gateway.
Opposite the lodge were the "Spring Gardens". The driveway
crossed the Castle moat over a bridge. Two streams from Bag Dale and
Lawn Gill ran either side of the Castle and these were dammed to form
the moat, the water level of which appears to have been controlled by a
sluice gate behind the Castle. The surplus water drained then towards
Skelton Beck and helped fill the pond which was driving force for
Skelton Corn Mill. The Corn Mill below the Castle was almost certainly
the site mentioned way back in the De Brus times. The 1856 map clearly
shows a rectangle of buildings there that have since been demolished.
The only remaining building today is the Miller's house. The Nazi
Germans did their best to destroy that too in the Second World War when
it was hit by a bomb. But it still stands, showing its scars. The Mill
was also supplied with water by a
mill race that was diverted off Skelton Beck below Upleatham and is
pictured top right. The water must have passed via a culvert under
Marske Lane and driven the Mill wheel before being returned to the
[The photograph of the Mill Race was contributed, as have many on this site, by Alan Ward.]
The new priest at Skelton All Saints Old Church was John Gardiner.
1858 - Building of the parsonage house and school at Cross Green.
The Skelton extension of the Cleveland Railway enabled the Bell Brothers to obtain an important tract of ironstone on the Skelton estate, Shaft and Park pits.
Rector of Skelton from 1857 to 1886 and the main mover of the building of the New Church in the High St.
Limestone quarries were also acquired in Weardale.
Ultimately the firm owned all the supplies of raw material required for their Clarence works, which had been started four years earlier with 3 blast furnaces on the North bank of the Tees opposite Middlesbrough.
1859 - John Thomas Wharton of Skelton Castle made the
gift of a font of carved Caen Stone to the Old church. This was moved
the new church in the High St in 1884.
"A thank offering from John Thomas Wharton on the birth of his son William Henry Anthony AD 1859"
J T Wharton was especially grateful, as he was aged 51 years
of age when his son was born and his wife Charlotte was 42.
Charles Darwin's Origin of Species is published.
Skelton Story of Forbidden Love. - A new young Curate,
the Rev Crawford Townsend Bowen, aged 25, came to Skelton in
this year 1859.
||Crawford took lodgings with the Tate family a few
houses further up North Terrace.
This was a small sandstone cottage occupied by John Tate, a labourer and carrier, his wife Mary and family.
What the sleeping arrangements were is left to the imagination.
The Tates had a beautiful 17 year old daughter, named Hannah, and for Crawford she proved irresistible.
Despite the social requirements of the time, the opposition of his family and the withdrawal of their patronage, Crawford and Hannah were married at Skelton Church in 1860.
Their first child was born in Skelton in 1861 and they went on to have five children in all. The proximity of this first child's birth to the wedding suggests that the marriage ceremony may have been conducted at the point of Mr Tate's shotgun.
Crawford gained a position in nearby Guisborough and then a "living" at Bolam and Gainford, near Darlington, Co Durham, where the photograph shown here was taken.
He died in 1908 and must have had a strong attachment to Skelton, for
his body was brought back here for burial.
Hannah died in 1911 and she too lies in Skelton Churchyard.
[This information and the photographs of Crawford and Hannah, taken in later days, have been kindly contributed by Dr Tony Nicholson, Lecturer in History at the University of Teesside. On moving into an old house in the High St, Brotton, N Yorks he found in the attic a cache of old letters left by Crawford and Hannah's daughter-in-law, Annie. They reveal this and many other fascinating stories and Tony is currently producing a book about them. Annie had married the Bowen's son Augustus, who was seen as a devious and unreliable character even by his own mother. Annie had ended up deserted and renting living space in the attic where the mementoes of her sad life were found.]
August 29th - The London Gazette. Insolvency.
1860 - Alum mining in Skelton ceased around this time.
3rd March - FORMATION OF RIFLE VOLUNTEERS.
30th May - The 1st Administrative Battalion, of the Yorkshire
North Riding Rifle Volunteers was established at Richmond,
N Yorks, for Home Defence.
1861 - The national census showed that Skelton
including Lingdale, Boosbeck and N Skelton comprised 4623 acres and had a population of 1034 with 517 males and 517 females.
Separate figures for each village were not registered until 1911.
Guisborough Workhouse had only one person registered from Skelton, a little boy, Thomas Dunn, entered as a "scholar, aged 11".
Severe Winter. The River Tees was frozen from Christmas Day 1860 until March 1861.
Opening of Skelton Shaft Mine by Bell brothers There was initially just
a drift entrance on the hillside and later a 114 ft shaft was dug
making it the first shaft mine in Cleveland. It was connected to the
railway line which reached the area in this year. After some conflict with the "Stockton and Darlington" railway owners and a Parliamentary
inquiry the "Cleveland Railway" was opened. This line ran from the iron works at Middlesbrough via Upsall, Guisborough, Boosbeck and Brotton as far
as the ironstone mine at Skinningrove. The line to Skelton Shaft was a spur that branched off at the Spawood ironstone mine and crossed the
Guisborough/Whitby moor road by a stone bridge [now demolished]. It would be some years before any passenger trains ran.
For more information on Skelton Shaft Mine, click here.
[Photograph kindly contributed by Brian Hudson, Professor of Urban Development, Brisbane, Australia, a native of Skelton.]
1862 Friday April 18th. AUCTION, (Without Reserve) At Skelton, in Cleveland, at THREE o'Clock, p.m., An 8-HORSE ENGINE and THRASHING MACHINE, with Saw Bench attached, all in good repair, by Hornsby and Son.
- May 9th. FIRST DEATHS IN SKELTON SHAFT MINE. -
"On Tuesday last, Mr Sowerby, coroner, held an inquest at the house of Mr Nicholson, Cleveland St, Guisborough to enquire into the circumstances of the death of Elijah Burns, who died on the previous day. The deceased was workman at the Skelton Mines and on Monday was engaged in taking out a "leg" and in consequence of his not being sufficiently careful, a mass of rubbish fell upon him and broke his leg, besides doing him other serious injury. He was taken to Guisborough and medical aid procured, but the injuries he had recieved were so extensive that he died the same day. He was a man of very steady and quiet habits and had been at work at the mines only a few days. He leaves a wife and one child. Verdict - Accidental death." The first [recorded] death of the many that would follow in the cause of raising iron in this area.
May 17. Skelton Shaft Mine. Robert Atterton, aged 22, was killed. Robert's wife gave birth to his daughter, Mary Elizabeth Atterton in the following November.
The moat at Skelton Castle, which had been created at the re-building between 1785 and 1817, was now drained.
12th December - DEATH OF ISAAC SCARTH.
On the 4th at Skelton in Cleveland, aged 78, Isaac Scarth, late of Stanghow in Cleveland. He had been the Guardian of the Poor of Stanghow ever since the formation of the Guisborough Poor Law Union in February 1837.
1864 - The Burials Act created Boards in each area, taking responsibility for churchyards and records from the church.
16th January - ASSAULT ON POLICE.
He was committed for trial at the next Quarter Sessions at Northallerton.|
1865 - Building of the Skelton Primitive Methodist Church.
The Primitive Methodists in Skelton , had previously been meeting in local rooms, but the movement was by now 50 years old.
Primitive Methodism was started by a person called Hugh Bourne, who was born in 1772 at Stoke. He became a Wesleyan Methodist Lay Preacher and his radical ideas and Camp meetings caused him to be expelled from the Methodist Church in 1808. He built his own church 1811 and sent out evangelists. Within thirty years he had 100,000 followers and 1,000 churches.They were popularly known as the "Ranters". Primitive to them meant, original, getting back to the real beginnings of whatever they believed in.