NEW FERRY ONLINE

 The Community Website of New Ferry, Wirral, UK

 

HOMEPAGE


About New Ferry


Clubs & Societies


Community in Action


Community Consultations


Events & Meetings


History of New Ferry

Pre 19th Century

1801-1900

1901-2000

2001-Today


Latest News, Hot Topics  & Announcements


Local Services & Facilities


Memories & Photos


Parks and Open Spaces


Shopping in New Ferry


Useful Information


 

See a Victorian map of where your home is today:

 

If you are a New Ferry resident, click on the map picture below.  A new window will open on a different website which will show  various old maps of New Ferry.  Type your postcode into the box and you will be able to see where your home is now (on the modern map to the right) compared to the 1835 tithe maps.  You can also choose the 1875 and the 1910 maps to compare the changes which have taken place between then and now. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(For those of you just visiting this site who do not live in New Ferry and don't know a postcode here, just type in CH62 5BE which will take you to the shops in the centre).

 


 

HISTORY OF NEW FERRY: 1801-1900


In 1817, steam powered ferryboats came into service on both the Eastham and Birkenhead ferries. Suddenly, everything began to change. With land on the Cheshire shore of the Mersey far cheaper than in Liverpool, Wirral was ripe for development. Now easily reached by ferry, the shipping magnates and merchants who were keen to escape from the ever-expanding confines of the smoky city of Liverpool were offered an opportunity to escape the consequences of their greed and to live in the clean air and rural peace she offered. Amongst their number were some entrepreneurs: men ready to take advantage of the cheap land and eager to make or increase their fortunes. By 1831, at Birkenhead a whole new town of 2,569 inhabitants had arisen. Following the coming of the Chester to Birkenhead railway and improvements to the Chester turnpike, by 1841 the population had grown to 8,223.

A number of the tranquility-seeking merchants bypassed Birkenhead, travelling further afield to take up residence in other local townships, amongst them Bebington and the New Ferry and Port Sunlight locality which had been an area of rough land, creeks, marsh and fields. In the wake of the merchants came other people:- shopkeepers, tradesmen, servants etc. to service their needs.

Lower Bebington village, clustered around its church and the junction where the important Chester and the cross-Wirral, Neston roads met, began to grow. Once combined, and after having descended the hill to turn northwards to go on to Birkenhead, a lane or track appeared to run eastwards to meet the Mersey. This lane followed the line of today’s Bebington and New Ferry Roads to where the unofficial ferry had operated over the centuries.

 

The Rock Ferry (shown here) was painted by leading marine artist Samuel Walters about 1834. It gives an insight into the type of craft in use before the advent of steam. Relying upon sails and oars, crossing the Mersey was often unpredictable. The ferry boat in the painting is the James, built in 1826 by Mottershead and Hayes of Liverpool. Walters shows the return trip to Liverpool laden with passengers along with fresh fruit and vegetables from the Wirral.

In the 19th Century, two Acts of Parliament were to totally change the traditional focus of importance within the township:

  • In 1833, permission was given for the re-routing of the ancient Chester Turnpike between Bromborough and Birkenhead. This resulted in the building of a bridge over Bromborough Pool and the construction of a new, shorter, more level toll road along the line of the present A41, New Chester Road. The Howey Lane Toll Gate, which stood 100 yards to the south of today’s Bebington Station, was moved to the new junction of Bebington Road and New Chester Road – on the site where the now empty HSBC Bank building stands today.

  • The second Act in 1837 permitted the building of the Chester to Birkenhead Railway Line. Designed by the famous George Stephenson, the railway was rapidly built. Bebington Station became the first station out of Birkenhead (Rock Ferry and Green Lane stations were built much later as the township grew).

Both these important civil engineering projects were completed by 1840. It was these, along with the coming of the steam ferryboat, which gave rise not only to Birkenhead, but also to New Ferry and, at the same time, lessened the traditional importance of places like Lower Bebington village.

 

The former toll building at the junction of New Chester Road and Bebington Road, where tolls were collected from people using the new Chester to Birkenhead Road in the latter half of the 19th century.

 

Bebington Station, seen here looking as a Chester or Ellesmere Port bound steam train arrives at the platform circa 1910 when the line was already 70 years old.  Note the ornate wooden station canopies to offer passengers some shelter from the sun or rain whilst waiting for their trains - these have long since gone. 

Through the early decades of the 19th century the river ferry itself had a somewhat chequered history, at times going out of service. All of this was to change in 1865 when a local man, a sugar refiner from Liverpool named MacFie, built – at his own expense (£10,000) – a new iron pier at New Ferry. It used to project into the river from the cobbled car park by The Esplanade, where there was also a hotel (replaced by the Derwent Court residential home in the 1990s) and a row of shops (also replaced in the 1990s by some small modern houses).

From New Ferry pier, two steam ferryboats of the South End Ferry Company connected the rising Wirral settlement with South Liverpool via Harrington Dock. It was from 1865 that the name New Ferry became applied to a specific area bounded on the east and west by the River Mersey and the railway line respectively; to the north the rear of Stanley and Thorburn Roads; and to the south by Bromborough Pool (the mouth of the River Dibbin) - including land where Port Sunlight village would eventually be built from the late 19th century onwards. The ferry operated until 1922 in which year a Dutch ship, enroute to Manchester, ran through the pier demolishing two spans and putting an end to the ferry service.

The first newcomers to Lower Bebington were a few merchants and businessmen from Liverpool. Later, others came from Birkenhead and elsewhere. In the decade following the coming of the railway and the New Chester Turnpike, the population of Lower Bebington rose from 440 in 1831 to 1,187 in 1841. By 1900 it had reached 8,398. The development of New Ferry followed a pattern: the richer newcomers tended to settle in large houses with extensive gardens well away from the new Toll Bar junction (where tolls were collected from people using the new road). Other, lesser, middle class newcomers settled in smaller, but still large villas, built closer to the centre. Some of these can still be seen in Stanley and Thorburn Roads.

This pattern of development continued to the point where, at the very centre, in the immediate vicinity of the Toll Bar in Woodhead, Olinda and Grove Streets, large numbers of poor quality, small, crowded, terraced houses were built. These were necessary to accommodate the workers who serviced the peripheral screen of larger houses and villas. At the junction, as the population grew, there arose a commercial centre to service the needs of rich and poor alike. In many cases, rather than their being purpose built, earlier, existing residential premises were converted into shops. New Ferry was evolving to develop a natural, commercial centre.

The final factor in the establishment of the New Ferry District Shopping Centre came with the building of two local works. The first came in 1853 when Price’s Patent Candle Company built Bromborough Pool Village. The second and most influential development came in 1888 when William Lever bought land within the bounds of New Ferry and built his soap works and Port Sunlight Village. With its already well established road links, New Ferry grew to serve the needs of an extensive area to the north, south and west. New Ferry also became the terminus for part of Birkenhead’s tram system – the first tram shed stood on the site of the current post office, but a later one was built in New ferry Road (now Rocket Training) behind Edge the Butchers.

 

The first tram shed was situated on New Chester Road.  It had  stables to the rear where the horses that pulled the early trams in the days before electrification where kept.  When a new tram shed was built around the corner in New Ferry Road in the early 20th century, this first tram shed became a bus depot.  It was demolished in the early 1980s and replaced with the new Post Office.  Parcelforce currently has a depot to the rear where the stables used to be.

Throughout the century, the shore at New Ferry was used to break up old ships that were no longer needed. Much of their interior fittings were salvaged for auction or re-use elsewhere; most materials were recycled.  The most famous ship to have been dismantled here was the SS Great Eastern, an iron sailing steam ship designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. She was the largest ship ever built at the time of her 1858 launch, and had the capacity to carry 4,000 passengers around the world without refueling. Brunel knew her affectionately as the "Great Babe". He died in 1859 shortly after her ill-fated maiden voyage during which she was damaged by an explosion. After repairs, she plied for several years as a passenger liner between Britain and America, before being converted to a cable-laying ship. Finishing her life as a floating music hall in Liverpool, she was broken up in 1889 on the shore between New Ferry and nearby Rock Ferry.  The ship's artefacts were auctioned and a number of these we bought and fitted into the Great Eastern Hotel on New Ferry Road.  The bar and beautiful stained glass window depicting the old ship could still be seen inside the pub until recently. Unfortunately, the pub - New Ferry's last iconic building on the eastern side of the bypass - was demolished in 2010.

In the mid 19th century, quarantine ships used to moor in the river off New Ferry, to cater for people with tropical diseases such as cholera, smallpox, chickenpox and leprosy. As a more permanent facility was required, the New Ferry Isolation Hospital was built and opened in 1875. Behind its high brick walls and railings were several wards, a laundry and houses for nurses and doctors. A flight of wooden steps led down the cliffs to the beach where patients were brought by ship – today you can just see the remains of a small stone jetty on the beach, whilst the broken stone pier cap lying upside down on the ground next to a red brick column on the edge of the woods at the end of Starworth Drive is all that remains of the surrounding wall.

To look after the community’s spiritual needs, St Marks Church appeared on New Chester Road in 1866. It is still with us today, but the Methodist Church that was built on the corner of Bebington Road and Boundary Road a few years later was demolished in the 1960s to be replaced with the flat roofed building which now houses Connexions. St Johns Roman Catholic Church (beside the Bebington Liberal Club) would not appear until the first few years of the 20th century.

By the 1890s, a regular ferry plied the route between Dingle, New Ferry and Liverpool. New Ferry became something of a holiday resort. Throughout the summer months, boatloads of families came over the water to play on the riverside fields (Shorefields) and take donkey rides on the shore. A marquee was sometimes erected behind the New Ferry Hotel, which – like the four shops opposite it – did a flourishing trade with the trippers.

The New Ferry shoreline at "Shorefields" was originally developed as a pleasure park, with bowling greens and tennis courts centred on the Great Eastern pub, and a park (the first New Ferry park, since relocated) constructed behind the New Ferry Hotel (now demolished and replaced with the Derwent Lodge retirement home).

When the pier was damaged in 1922 and the ferry service to New Ferry ended, the tourists and day-trippers also stopped coming here – resulting in The Esplanade and Shorefields pleasure park declining in importance.

 

The nurses' quarters in the Port Sanitary Hospital (demolished in the 1960s) seen here in the 1890s.

 

StMarks

St Mark's Parish Church photographed in 1910.

 

The bottom end of New Ferry Road circa 1895.  The terraced houses to the right still stand today (you can just see the end of Onslow Road).  The shops to the left (a post office, fishmonger, and general store) still stood until the mid 1990s, although the shops had long since been converted to flats.  They were all demolished and replaced with modern houses around 1998/9.

 

The Great Eastern Hotel (later just a pub) is now sadly gone - demolished in 2010 to make way for new houses .... which still haven't been built!

 

For 200 years, many a fine ship has been associated with the River Mersey.  However, not many were as well-known as the four training ships - the wooden walls of England.  The ships were the "Akbar", moored in 1856, the Conway (1859), the Indefatigable (1864) and the Clarence (1864).  From left, this view shows the Conway, Akbar and Indi moored off New Ferry.  The Clarence was set on fire and destroyed in 1899.

 


See more photos from the 1890s.....

 

Move on to 1901 to 2000.....