ARCHIVE PHOTOGRAPHS.

Friday 16th February 2001.
Swansea ...Llanmadoc and Whiteford Lighthouse.


Weather:Sunny. Temp: 10C

 
Image produced from the Ordnance Survey Get-a-map service. Image reproduced with kind
permission of Ordnance Survey and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland



 
On our walk today we are going to Whiteford Lighthouse but first a look at Llanmadog Church. The Church of St. Madog is reputed to have been founded in the 6th century by that Saint. The present construction is 13th century but was restored in 1865.

 
We go down a narrow lane to Cwm Ivy and on to this path leading down to Whiteford Beach. On our left towering high above us are limestone outcrops and on our right are pine forests. .

 
After climbing over a stile, we get our first sight of the Loughor Estuary and the hills above Burry Port and Pembrey.

 
Over the dunes and we start walking the two miles along the beach to reach the lighthouse. In this picture the lighthouse is about two thirds up on the extreme left.

 
At low water it is possible to walk out to the old lighthouse but this is the closest we can get at this state of the tide. Built in 1854 on the sands close to Whiteford Point it was an essential navigational aid for shipping going to and from Llanelli and Burry Port. The light was replaced in 1933 by an automatic light on Burry Holmes. It is the only remaining cast iron sea washed lighthouse in the UK.

 
Instead of returning along the beach we are going over the dunes and through the pine woods.

 
There are a lot of ponies in the dunes. These two just didn't want to be photographed.. they would not stand still..

 
There are lots of tracks through the pine woods and it is easy to get lost.

 
The path on the other side of the gate leads through a wooded area and on to Cwm Ivy. The rock in the distance is North Hill Tor.

 
Having come up the lane from Cwm Ivy into Llanmadoc our walk is ended..



Home.
Back to Archive Index.

All photographs Copyright 2000 Alex Thomas. All rights reserved.